1. 1908: Cincinnati Mayor claims women shouldn’t be behind the wheel of an automobile
The Model T was first released in 1908, making the everyday man able to afford to own a car, which was something that was normally a luxury only the wealthy experienced. On this day in 1908, the Cincinnati mayor stood before the city council and pleaded “women are not physically fit to operate automobiles.” Women of the time, often referred to as Victorian Women, were viewed as very fragile and delicate, not able to handle such complex machinery as the Automobile. It didn’t take obviously but interestingly women played a key factor in the first “hybrid” or electric cars being made. Electric cars removed the need to use the hand crank to get started and often used more visually appealing interiors suited for women. Almost 65% of cars purchased in the U.S. today are made by females, and if we want to add the behind the scenes influence over the remaining 35% of males its probably closer to 85%.
2. 1876: Alexander Graham Bell receives patent for the telephone
In what ended up being a major controversy, Alexander Graham Bell received his patent for the telephone. Elisha Gray was also working on a device that could transmit speech using a water transmitter and on February 14th she filled her application for a patent, which was also the same day that Bell’s lawyers filed his patent application and there was much debate as to who’s application was received first. On this day in 1876 Bell received the patent which covered “the method of, and apparatus for, transmitting vocal or other sounds telegraphically … by causing electrical undulations, similar in form to the vibrations of the air accompanying the said vocal or other sound”. Just three days later, Bell succeeded in making his telephone work using a similar design to Gray’s water transmitter but later switched to electromagnetic forms of transmitting.
3. 1999: Award winning filmmaker Stanly Kubrick Dies
Although some of you may not know Stanley Kubrick by name, it’s almost guaranteed that you know his movies. The multiple time award winning director has quite the resume with hits like Clockwork Orange and The Shining, but he started back in New York making short films in the early 50’s when working for The Look magazine. Later he worked with Kirk Douglas on the famous films Paths of Glory in 1957 and Spartacus in 1960. One of my personal favorites would have to be Full Metal Jacket, with they way he is able to paint the picture of just how rough and real Vietnam was was just short of amazing. After a 10 year absence, Kubrick came back on the scene in 1997 to direct the erotic thriller “eyes wide shut”. Kubrick passed away shortly after he turned in the final cut of the film. He was 70 years old and his legend will live on forever through his films.